♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯

Loading...

Monday, 19 September 2011

Wearing and bearing are two different things

Quote: "In 1973, (Mahant Amar Bharti Ji pictured above) raised his hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva  - and he hasn't put it down since.  In 1970 Amar left his job, family and friends to dedicate himself to his religious beliefs.  Three years later, feeling he was still too connected to his old life, Amar simply raised his hand as a sign of devotion". 
Amar's gesture resulted in the loss of use of his right arm.  His hand and fingernails are now gnarled, attached to an arm that's like an old dead tree; useless flesh and bone protruding in the air. 


I went away from reading this with eyes like round saucers.  I'll pose this question: "how many of us in the Western world are prepared to do what Amar Bharti has done, in devotion to our religion?"  It's rhetorical.  The closest I've seen to displays of devotion to religion, at least to Christianity, are the Crucifix necklaces I see women wear all the time.  You know, the gold or silver ones that look something along the lines of this?: 
 You know?  The ones that people ironically spend $50+ on when there are millions of starving people in the world?  It's an industry. And people are buying into it without realising that wearing a cross isn't the same as bearing a cross. I'm the biggest hypocrite there ever was because I used to wear one as well.  I stopped when I realised how shallow a representation, a declaration of my faith it was, how almost materialistic..kind of like "heyyy gf!! I bought this gawgeous cross with my Homeboyyy on it, it's sooo cute, it has lyk a diamond encrusted crown of thornzzz, and it's lyk 24 C gold!  I was lyk wowww, OMDivinity! xoxo" 
To be blunt... directing this at myself as well, if there was ever a more pathetically passive way of expressing something that is supposed to be at the core of your very person...call me.


Although I don't have faith in Shiva or any other deities other than one God, I admire the virtue of this man.  I admire the simplicity, and the power in that simplicity.  In Australia, it seems that there is power.  But the power is powerful emptiness.  And that emptiness is garnished with the complexity of materialistic living.
 And that materialistic living reinforces my displeasure with everything I see in this "developed" country and the way I live.  This place may be developed, but it aint developed in Soul.  And I know that I can't live the rest of my life like this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment