♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯

Loading...

Friday, 23 September 2011

Vow of silence

Picking daisies and roaming around the weeds of the garden, I found her.  
She was left in the garden.  And the elements got to her.  She looks like something from The Exorcism of Emily Rose...!  She was sweet but ghastly to look at.  If she had a voice, I wonder what she would say to me, staring into those hollow eye sockets.  
I was left for the sun, wind, rain and spiders.  You left me.
But silence seems to be the most powerful speech.  
I've never much liked speaking.
There should be a "National Vow of Silence" day where everyone shuts their flappers for 24 hours and just listens and watches and thinks and learns about everything that is, and everything that was.  If every person on the planet had their tongue removed *voluntarily* I bet violence would decrease, along with hatred and every venomous emotion.  There would be no language barrier either.  Natural spoken words express so little.  They're coarse and chunky and fail to express the true depth of a person.  You need to think for hours, maybe even days to express a fragment of the true thoughts and feelings you have.  Instead of "the abyss of your eyes, full of unspeakable thoughts, casts a hypnotic vertigo all around you"
it's..."your eyes are real pretty", or if I wanted to speak in the Australian-lingo it would something along the lines of, "hawwwt eyes baybbe!"   
And all the whispering...  the back-biting, the hypocrisy and the gossip... it's all kind of repulsive to me.  And I know that I'm as much of a hypocrite as anyone else.  Half of what makes me a hypocrite is speech.  All this inane babble that's spouted every day... and the infernal 'small talk' where you're obliged to dig up some obscure topic and act all interested about it...it's a mask.  Just another cog in the Wheel of life.  
Kinda like going to the city, sitting at a bus stop and trying to concentrate.  It's pretty much impossible!  All the commotion and traffic and noise and movement are really what words are.  They're distractions.  They're masks because they smother and repress anything that really means anything.  Even writing this now, it's like procrastination.  If I didn't have a job, I think I'd be eccentric enough to take a vow of silence.  In the excess of all this noisy garble is great emptiness.  I've always felt it.
  Mother Teresa said something once:
We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise or restlessness.  God is the friend of silence.  See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence....We need silence to be able to touch souls.    

No comments:

Post a Comment