♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯

Loading...

Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Cynical romantic, realistic idealist?

He said it was too depressing, the man who handed me the above book, so depressing in fact, that he couldn't finish it.  How fascinating!  In that instance I understood myself through the eyes of another. 
I wonder if any one can finish me. 
Wuthering Heights + slightly intense frame of mind = one of my favourite books.

Cathy: Nelly, I am Heathcliff!  He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.

Heathcliff: And I pray one prayer - I repeat it till my tongue stiffens - Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you - haunt me, then!  The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe.  I know that ghosts have wandered on earth.  Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad!  Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!  I cannot live without my life!  I cannot live without my soul! 


Of course, this is 19th century fiction, but I can't help but wonder if a relationship between two people could ever be so intense.  Most introverted females yearn for something similar to this, possibly minus all the melodrama, digging corpses up from graves, dying from love-sick starvation etc. etc., I think.
Love is only another form of grief though in my experience, and from what I've observed.  But a kind of grief worthy of burning through.
We talk about safety, comfort, protection, care, and these almost phlegmatic words that exist within the sphere of love, but what about speaking of inseparable souls?  Passionate and consuming love?  Is it true that each person in the world has another who was fashioned for them, and them only?  Their echo, their reflection, their pulse?  Or is this just romantic, unrealistic fluff of poetic daydreams?  Divorces, infidelities, what are they a sign of?  When romantic love is boiled down, what does it actually consist of?
I need a scalpel, some binoculars, and a white board.
Luckily we have modern embodiments of Heathcliff and Cathy around - like Geoffrey and Brynne Edelsten.  Who could not see the resemblance??          

In disguise

.........




No comments:

Post a Comment